A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]


CITIZENSHIP: Citizenship is based upon Citizenship Law #2, dated 1975. The formerly divided nations of North Yemen and South Yemen were officially united on May 22, 1990.

BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Yemen does not automatically confer citizenship. The exception is a child born to unknown parents.

BY DESCENT: Child born of an Yemeni father regardless of the child's country of birth. Child born in Yemen of an Yemeni mother and an unknown father. However, if the child is born abroad, special permission must be obtained for the child to be declared a citizen.

MARRIAGE: A foreign woman who marries a citizen of Yemen may obtain Yemeni citizenship after having resided in the country for two years, having formally requested citizenship, and having renounced previous citizenship.

BY NATURALIZATION: Yemeni citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Moslems with special skills needed by the country must reside in Yemen for at least 10 years, have a viable means of support, be healthy, have behaved properly, and know the language. Foreigners who have special talents needed by the country must fulfill the same requirements, but reside in Yemen for 5 years.



VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Yemeni citizenship is permitted by law. Contact the Yemeni Embassy for details and required paperwork.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Yemeni citizenship: Person has acquired new citizenship. Naturalized citizen has committed a criminal act. Naturalized citizen has lived overseas for more than two years without government permission.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of the Republic of Yemen Consular Section 2600 Virginia Ave., NW STE 705 Washington, DC 20037

Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-965-4760/61 Fax: 202-337-2017



Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.