A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]


CITIZENSHIP: Salvadoran citizenship law is based on the Salvadoran Constitution.

BY BIRTH: Child born in El Salvador, regardless of the citizenship of the mother or father.

BY DESCENT: Child born abroad of a Salvadoran mother or father.

BY NATURALIZATION: Salvadoran citizenship can be acquired by fulfillment of the following conditions: Persons of any origin who have maintained residency in El Salvador for at least five years.

(Spaniards and native Hispano-Americans need only reside for 1 year; foreign spouses of Salvadoran citizens need to reside at least 2 years after the time of marriage.) Persons can obtain citizenship from the legislative branch for noteworthy services rendered to the republic.

OTHER: El Salvador recognizes a special citizenship designation for natives of other states that constituted the Federal Republic of Central America, who, having domicile in El Salvador, declare before a competent authority their desire to be Salvadoran.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED. Salvadorans by birth have the right to enjoy double or multiple citizenship. This right is not extended to those whose citizenship was acquired through naturalization.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP: Salvadoran citizenship based on birth is lost only by an expressed renunciation before a competent authority and may be recovered by petition before the same authority. Naturalized citizenship that has been lost can not be regained.

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship can be requested through any Salvadoran embassy abroad.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of naturalized citizenship: Residing more than two consecutive years in the country of birth. Absence from the territory of the republic for more than five years, unless official permission is granted. Final legal judgement, decree, or sentence by legitimate Salvadoran representative.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

The Embassy of El Salvador Office of Consular Affairs 1424 16th St., NW Suite 200 Washington, DC 20036

Embassy Telephone: 202-265-9671/72 Consular Telephone: 202-331-4032 Fax: 202-331-4036



Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.